Sunday, January 15, 2006

Dordrecht residency, week three

By the third week, I can say I was feeling a little less anxious, not too worried about getting enough work together to show, though I felt I needed to get as much done as I could, so as not to leave me short-handed. As I hadn't been to the space yet I couldn't predict how the show would go together, so I kept the idea of the paintings being pieces of film to be edited on sight as a theme. Some of the drawings were still coming from the sketchs worked up in Venice, while others came from things I was seeing in Holland, including trips to Antwerp, Brussels, Tilberg and Hoge Volve National Park. Obviously other images were coming from television, particular images from the flooding of New Orleans, which tied into concerns about accumulations and piles while feeding some new ideas in current (January 2006) work about ideas of homes and containers.